Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tour of California

Today is such a BIG day! The Amgen Tour of California is finishing Stage 4 in Clovis! When Lou and I first started dating he told me he was into cycling, but I really had NO idea just how into cycling Lou was until July rolled around and we were watching Le Tour de France for 21 days straight (early in the morning...like 5 am...before work). That was the year Lance Armstrong had his 7th consecutive win...It was exciting to watch...I mostly looked in the crowds for Sheryl Crow (she and Lance were dating that year)...but I did get wrapped up in the drama of cycling too.
And boy is there drama...with the worker bees (they don't call them that, but I haven't brushed up on my cycling lingo lately...so that's what I'm calling them)...Oh!...Domestiques (that's what they are called). Anyway, there is always one guy that each team wants to win...the worker bees just chase down the other racers and help the Queen bee (or King) to win.

I know I shouldn't be comparing them to bees, but that is just how it works out in my head.

Anyway, after 4 Le Tour de France's, several thousand miles Lou's racked up on his own bike, and one nasty accident (that was me...not him)...I've grown to love cycling too.

Today, The Tour of California finishes a stage in Clovis, and my cycling lover husband is going to be smack dab in the middle of Livestrong Alley. He went and gave blood and got a shirt (one of 1500) to stand in Livestrong Alley. I wish I could be there with him just to see his excitement.

Levi Leipheimer (he's in the yellow jersey now...that means he's in first place...for all you non cyclists) will be wizzing by, George Hincapie, Christian Vande Velde, Ivan Basso...all the greats that we've been watching on tv for years...THEY'RE ALL going to be here. And let's not forget...LANCE ARMSTRONG!!!!! Oh yes! But he's a worker bee (the #2 guy) in the race...so don't be expecting him to win. You see, He and Levi are both on Team Astana and there is never two Queen Bee's on the same team. Levi's won this race 2 years in a row now..."This is his race."

And yes...that's a quote...by my husband (my personal cycling expert).

Anyway, honey...I love you. I hope you see everyone you want to see, and maybe even get to snap a picture of Lance wizzing by at 40 mph. I will be thinking about you today. I hope it's a great day for you. Don't hurry home! We'll see you tonight.

1 comment:

kelly said...

I love cycling too, after my kiddos are older I am going to try to get into it, so fun.