Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pray for Lou

My poor husband has a hurt back. He has had a hurt back since before we met, but it has been mostly managable. He had a back surgery some years ago and has had some pain ever since then. Over the last few years he has had flair ups...Usually he has to take a day or two off the bike and really take it easy. Sometimes he's even been confined to bed for a short period of time. But no matter what he's always better in a couple of days.

Well, this flair up has lasted over a month now...probably more like two months. It has gotten so bad that he's been to the doctor several times, had an MRI, is going to physical therapy, and is off work. Lou loves his job and you know he's bad when he's out of work.

The MRI showed spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease...also a bulge at L-4 or 5 I can't really remember where exactly the bulge is, but it is causing a nerve (or nerve roots) to be pinched and this is creating so much pain. The doctor says there is nothing surgical that needs to be fixed, and that everything should heal with time...and disability.

Some days are good and some days are bad. Last weekend we had a pretty good weekend...really low key and just the two of us. No big plans...no company...no set schedule of anything to do. This last week was a little bit hectic and he's having more pain. Over the last few days he has ben up quite a bit and after a while of being up and about he's ually pretty sore.

I feel so bad because there really isn't a lot I can do...physically anyway. I wish there was something I could do to help aleviate some of the pain. He is supposed to go back to work in October. I am hoping that he will be able to, but I also don't want him to go back too soon.

If anyone is reading this blog...please say a quick prayer for Lou. No matter your belief system...if you pray at all...Please say a prayer for Lou. We have had a lot of prayers lately, but every little bit helps...and I am a firm believer in the power of prayer.

Thanks everyone! Let me know how to pray for you.

2 comments:

kelly said...

Done! I hope he is feeling better very soon.

The Waldrams said...

Poor guy! I know back pain can be pretty debilitating. I hope he has healed enough to go back to work next month.