Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Remembering Gram


***Gail Peters***

  • Grammy, I remember sitting on your lap as a little girl while you got your hair done in Janey's salon.

I remember taking baths in your jacuzzi tub with my cousins and lots of bubbles.

  • I remember you filling that giant green plastic bowl full of popcorn (not microwave popcorn either, homemade popcorn with butter and salt) and making us a bed on the floor in the living room so we could all sleep together. Sometimes you even got in it with us so we would stop talking and go to sleep.

  • I remember being a little girl and my mom and I were at your house. My mom was getting ready to go back to Atascadero, where we lived, and you were going to be coming over the next day to stay with us for some reason. I was crying because I didn't want to leave you. Mom said I could stay and come with you the next day, but I didn't want her to leave either.

I remember you coming to take care of us in Atascadero when my mom had Brittany and Bobby.


I remember going school shopping at the end of each summer and doing a fashion show when we got home. Sometimes you told us to leave some of the bags in the car until Grandpa fell asleep so he wouldn't know how much money we spent.


I remember, during my summer vacations, going to work with you at the office. I remember watching you with your adding machine and thinking that I never saw anyone add numbers as fast as you could. It's funny that now that I have my own adding machine, I don't think I can run numbers as fast as you did.

I remember our fun cruise that we went on when I was 10. I was scared to ride some of the rides at Disney World, but you were so brave and you went with Jill on every ride, even though I know you were scared too.


I remember how beautifully I thought you sang. I would tell everyone that you sang as good as Ann Murry. And you did.


I remember when you got that big blue/silver mercedes and I thought you had the fanciest car...the butt warmers and the moving seats.

I remember one night when I was 12 or 13, my mom had to work late and I was home with Brit and Bob and I was scared. They were both in bed, but I wasn't. I called you and we laid on the couch talking to each other and watching the Home Shopping Network until mom came home.


I remember going shopping with you and Jill on Rodeo Drive. I remember you taking us to Neiman Marcus. I thought it was so fancy. It was so fancy.


I remember going to auctions with you throughout the years and watching you bid on all kinds of antiques.


I remember having my first job in your office and you teaching me how to reconcile the bank statements (by hand). We would write all the outstanding checks down and we would use the column pads. You were my first accounting teacher...It's neat that I chose to do that for a living. All of my bosses are always inpressed when they find out how much work I can do by hand.


I remember you sent me and Luna to Hawaii for my graduation. We had a lot of fun...I don't think I ever told you and grandpa how special that was for me.

I remember living with you and Grandpa while I was in my twenties. What a special time that was for me. I remember curling up on the couch on Monday nights to watch the Bachelor. We watched Trista's season together...religously.


I remember trying to do Weight Watchers together and you would never eat all your points and you would get so frustrated because you were not losing.


I remember when I introduced you to Lou, and how special you made him feel.


I remember you showing me the rings you had set aside and getting excited with you over the thought of me getting engaged to Lou. I feel blessed to have one of your rings as my engagement/wedding ring.


I remember planning my wedding with you. How you helped us so much to be able to have such a sweet, beautiful wedding.


I remember the night before my wedding you gave me a beautiful bracelet that belonged to you. I wore it on my wedding day. I still have the card you gave me with that bracelet tucked into the box.


I remember you making sure we had such a fun time on our honeymoon...Thank you for that Gram...it was special.


I remember you coming to see us in our first little house that we moved into about a year after we got married. It wasn't much, but you made me feel like it was a cute little home.


I remember you being one of my biggest cheerleaders through our fertility struggle. I would call you after each appointment to tell you what the doctor said. I remember being so excited to tell you when we finally got pregnant and feeling so sad for you when we lost that pregnancy.


I remember you bringing me potato salad (my favorite) and chicken and cherries after I came home from the hospital after I had my ectopic pregnancy removed.


I am so sorry that you never got to see me pregnant. I remember thinking how happy it would make me if you came and helped me after I had a baby (just like you did when I was a little girl for my mom). I know that you were not always happy when Lou and I decided to take a break from all the infertility treatments; I hope you know...we are still hopeful.


Gram, I love you. I know that there are so many more memories I have with you. Funny ones, silly ones, serious ones, so many...I feel so lucky to have you for my grandma. I am glad that you are not suffering anymore with that nasty cancer. I am sorry there was nothing we could do to take that away.


You will forever be a light in my life, and the sweetest spot in my heart.


I love you,

Shannon Gail

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, honey...

Luna said...

I LOVE this post. So amazing. Some of the things I remember too.

I instantly thought of Hawaii and the Leis they gave us for graduation. Sometimes it is amazing to think they trusted us! We felt so grown-up, but now I know we weren't.

I also thought of my bridal shower and your bridal shower and so many parties at your grandparents house.

Your grandma was so amazing and I will truly miss her.

kelly said...

Awww, I had no idea. I'm so sorry. Beautiful post though, what wonderful memories. You were very blessed to have a grandma like that. I think she was what all grandmas should be, and the kind of grandma I hope to be someday.