I feel like there is a lot I want to say about my sweet husband lately. I'll start with the bad news first...
The other night after we worked the firework stand all day, my bike riding lover husband decided he needed to fit a bike ride in to his oh-so-long day. It was about 8:30 or so and even though I don't like him to ride at night, he geared up and went out on a "short" ride. He is always very safe (he wears a helmet, has lights, all the good stuff), but I worry about cars not seeing him or weirdos being out there. Anyway, I was especially worried this night because he was feeling sore and tired from all the lifting and hard work he'd been doing lately. In the last week, he's painted all of our kitchen cabinets, moved a dishwasher, painted Jackson's new room, set up and tore down a firework stand a few times...anyway, you get it.
So I'm at home packing and about 9:30 or so Lou calls. He tells me that he had taken a break, but he was fine and not to worry...He was on his way home. I thought the call was kind of weird and I asked him if I could come and get him, but he said he was okay. Anyway, I went back to packing and cleaning. About 10:00 or so Lou comes in and tells me that he lied to me on the phone. I ask him what he's talking about and he tells me this...
He's riding his bike and all of a sudden he hears a car accelerate and is coming up close to him. 4 young guys are in this car and one of them throws a full water bottle at him and hits him. The cap flew off and Lou was mad. Now for those of you who know my husband, you know he's a sweet, kind man, but if you make him mad...watch out. He stands up on his bike and the car gets stuck at a red light. (Side note: I'm totally nervous listening to this story at this point, and scanning his body for marks or wounds). Lou is pulling up to them, and a car up ahead flips around and guess what?...It's a police officer. The cop saw everything and pulls over the car. (Another side note: I'm thinking thank goodness at this point. I'm so glad the cops got there before Lou did. My husband is a big guy, but 4 against one probably wouldn't have ended well). Anyway, the police office gets the kid (he's 18) out of the car and arrests him. It's a FELONY to throw an object from one vehicle at another (and bikes count). The cop asked the kid, "Do you know what would have happend if you would have knocked him off his bike? You could have killed him." The kid didn't have anything to say. He spent a night in jail for the incident and now will have a felony on his record.
I could not believe it. I still don't believe it. Who does that? I don't know if I got all the details right, but it's mostly right. Lou can correct me if I told you all any big lies. I don't think so though.
Okay, so the good news...Well, really he's just totally wonderful. Really, I don't know how he does all that he does. He is teaching summer school right now...elementary, special education summer school...not even high school summer school. He is running a firework stand this week (which is a ton of work). He gets off work at noon or so and goes right over and sets it up. We've been out there until about 8-8:30 every night. He's been working at the new house getting it ready to move in, and he's still in school taking an online class right now.
He has all A's and each class is really hard since it's only a month long...There's a ton of work. Anyway, some of you may know this, but Lou signed his contract to teach at Clovis high next year, but he was only at a 60% contract because he only had 3 or 4 classes to teach...and technically it's considered an internship. We were happy as ever with the arrangement, but at 60% you are not eligable for benefits. That's okay because I have benefits at my work. We pay for them, but at least we're insured. Anyway, yesterday Lou found out that they added another class to his schedule and now he's at an 80% contract with more money and BENEFITS!
He has worked so hard for our family. He really doesn't get enough credit for all that he does. Just wanted to brag about him a little bit. Honey, I'm so proud of you. Thanks for all that you do for our family. I love you.
Ps: Please no night bike rides for a while...
5 comments:
Ahhh, sweet justice! I am so glad the officer was there. That kid will think twice before pulling a stunt like that again...
Congrats on Lou's increased work schedule and the benefits! That's awesome. Double congrats on finding such a good catch, Shannon. Lou seems like a great guy. :)
Shan, I am so happy for you! Your husband sounds great. I hope I get to meet him someday!!
Wow! What a story! I can't believe how stupid kids are. C'mon throwing a water bottle at someone?! I'm glad Lou is okay. Hope you had a good 4th.
I am so glad they arrested that kid. Yay for a cop being in the right place at the right time. I am so glad that you and Lou found each other. I still don't know him too well, but I feel like I do and I relly like him, I think you got a good guy Shan.
I did get a good one Kell! Thanks for the comments.
Post a Comment