I will probably never have another birthday without thinking of my cousin, Chris. My birthday is in two days (August 8th), and more importantly...Today is Christopher's birthday. He would have been 31 years old today. For so many years, growing up, we had our birthday parties together. At my grandma's house. We often shared a cake...half whatever he wanted and half whatever I wanted, and as far as I can remember, we didn't mind it that way. We shared our last birthday together (Chris turned 30 and I turned 28) in the same way we shared many birthday parties so long ago. At Grandma's house, swimming, BBQ-ing, sharing a cake, and enjoying our family.
My cousin, Christopher, died on September 24th, 2007. He was driving home very late at night and fell asleep at the wheel. Luckily, his was the only vehicle involved, but unfortunately, we lost Chris. Our family had never experienced something so sad. Our family will never be the same. 
We miss you, Chris. Every single one of us. Even those who didn't know you well, knew you meant so much to all of us.
Even though I am sad today that you are not here to have a party with me. I want you to know that I celebrate you. I am sitting here writing this with tears streaming down both cheeks and I am picturing us getting ready to blow the candles out on our cake...I can remember so many of them...Kermet on your half, Miss Piggy on mine. He-Man on your half, and She-ra on mine. My Little Pony on my half and Transformers on yours. We had some fun birthdays together. This year...I'll mis you. I'll have to blow all of the candles out.
Happy Birthday Chris! Today we celebrate you.
4 comments:
What a beautiful tribute to your cousin. It is so wonderful that you have all of those positive memories of him.
(PS Sorry I missed you at Farmer's Market on Friday.)
I went there too early on Friday too...Caleb wasn't set up yet. I really wanted to taste some of your yummy treats.
That last picture makes me smile. One because of the glasses and the other because of a central Ca lake! Sorry about your cousin. H
Shannon, I just now saw this and read it. Made me cry like the baby I am.. What beautiful memories. I miss Christopher so much. Thank you for visiting him and me at the Cemetery, thank you for the flowers and the card. You are so good, so sweet and thoughtful. I love you very much. Auntie Kim
Post a Comment